BANNER ELK, N.C. - The Mars Hill women's tennis team came up short Wednesday afternoon, losing 5-4 against Lees-McRae in their first contest of 2018.
Originally scheduled to face Southern Wesleyan at home, rain in the forecast forced the Lions to travel to Lees-McRae to continue their 2017-18 season. Jasha Geerdink won her singles match in straight set, downing Sandy Allen 6-1, 6-3. Evan Lake and Dani Potts also earned singles victories for the Lions. The team of Geerdink and Lake picked up the lone doubles victory for Mars Hill.
The Lions fall to 2-5 on the season while Lees-McRae picks up the win in their first match. Mars Hill returns home for action Saturday, February 17 versus Milligan at the Hart Tennis Complex. First serve is scheduled for 2 p.m.
1. Jasha Geerdink (MHUW) def. Sandy Allen (LMC-W) 6-1, 6-3
2. Evan Lake (MHUW) def. Mackenzie Langmade (LMC-W) 6-1, 6-2
3. Dani Potts (MHUW) def. Jaden Acklin (LMC-W) 2-6, 7-6 (7-2), 6-2
4. Rebecca Pierce (LMC-W) def. Sophia Pelaez (MHUW), by walkover
5. Dakota Tittle (LMC-W) def. Demarron Johnson (MHUW) 6-0, 6-0
6. Emily Harrison (LMC-W) def. Brittany Wilkins (MHUW) 6-1, 6-0
1. Jasha Geerdink/Evan Lake (MHUW) def. Sandy Allen/Mackenzie Langmade (LMC-W) 8-4
2. Jaden Acklin/Rebecca Pierce (LMC-W) def. Sophia Pelaez/Dani Potts (MHUW) 7-7 (7-4), 7-4
3. Dakota Tittle/Emily Harrison (LMC-W) def. Demarron Johnson/Brittany Wilkins (MHUW) 8-0
Mars Hill 2-5