CAYCE, S.C. – The Mars Hill men's tennis team dropped a 6-3 decision to conference rival Newberry on Thursday, March 02 at the Cayce Tennis Center. Alberto Ortiz earned a victory over Edison Ambarzumjan in the No. 1 singles. After dropping the first set, Ortiz stormed back to take the next two with relative ease to secure the win. Carlos Suares Riesco also picked up a singles win (No. 3) after taking down Nikhil Mannepalli in straight sets. Fernando Neto tallied the only other victory for the Blue and Gold on the afternoon as he downed Alex Amble 6-4, 6-4 in the number six singles slot.
1. Alberto Ortiz (MHUM) def. Edison Ambarzumjan (NBY) 6-7, 6-1, 3-1
2. Jordan Monosky (NBY) def. Ben Reid (MHUM) 7-6, 0-6, 10-7
3. Carlos Suares Riesco (MHUM) def. Nikhil Mannepalli (NBY) 6-4, 6-4
4. Angel Pizarro (NBY) def. Blake Covington (MHUM) 6-0, 6-0
5. Logan Adkins (NBY) def. Pedro Pinassi (MHUM) 6-3, 6-2
6. Fernando Neto (MHUM) def. Alex Amble (NBY) 6-4, 6-4
The Lions will return to action on Wednesday, March 8, traveling to Harrogate, Tenn. to take on the Railsplitters of Lincoln Memorial. First serve is scheduled for 1 p.m.
Mars Hill University 1-12 (0-6 SAC)
Newberry 11-2 (3-0 SAC)
Official: Yvonne Farras